Yesterday’s sewage issue is solved – thank you nice Roto Rooter man. Yes, it was roots. Yes, I’ll be buying a new mop.
It raised a new-ish issue that the unused and turned off toilet in the laundry room downstairs is busted and leaks (clean) water. These are not related other than the cleanup involved both of us jostling the toilet during mopping and dislodged whatever was barely holding the tank to the bowl. He’s been threatening to officially cap the toilet for a while now – looks like that is on the list for the weekend. The valve may be busted as well, which is a bigger job and one I don’t want to contemplate right now.
Back to the bedroom. In preparation for finishing the bedroom, I had to go to the lumberyard to pick out new trim for windows, baseboards, and ceiling. We aren’t putting in official crown moulding, but VHU (Very Helpful Uncle) suggested that we use a smaller casing about 3 inches down from the ceiling line and paint it and those 3 inches to match the ceiling to add the illusion of height. A lovely idea.
The room dimensions are laughably small, but not so small that things that run horizontally along full walls are easy to transport. My Honda can handle trim up to 10 feet if I put the seat down in the back and have it rest on the dashboard. Naturally I needed 11. (Well, 10 1/2, but I needed room for cutting errors.) The ceiling casing – which is a very plain cheapo molded casing – is very lightweight. We stuck it out through the trunk, back seat, and then out the front passenger window. I drove along as many side streets as I could. Let’s just say if anyone was watching what I was doing, they clearly thought I was an idiot as the casing FLEW and bounced all around the front. No, I didn’t tie it up. Yes, I can see that I should have. Oh well.
Next day, I got the baseboards at Home Depot and we (the dudes in the parking lot and I) wedged it against the sideview mirror. That – coupled with the fact that the baseboards were much heavier – made for a safer driving experience for all.